Running Start is a statewide community and technical college program where high school juniors and seniors take college courses for both high-school and college credit. If you have chosen a career direction and can benefit from college instruction, Running Start at Clover Park Technical College may be right for you.
Running Start students are held to the same expectations as all other college students. Attendance, participation, behavior and quality of work must meet college standards.
Running Start tuition is typically free for area high school students, but there is a cap to the amount of free tuition. Running Start students pay normal CPTC fees for books, tools, laboratory fees, consumables and transportation.
Summer quarter funding is available for students in select programs. Contact Kevin Kildun for more information.
Kevin Kildun, Running Start Counselor
The first step in enrolling for Running Start is meeting with the Running Start advisor to begin the paperwork.
STEP 1: SUBMIT SMARTER BALANCE SCORES OR TAKE THE ACCUPLACER
Please bring picture ID You can get location/dates/times and fees at: www.cptc.edu/accuplacer.
STEP 2: MEET WITH CPTC RUNNING START ADVISOR
Speak to Kevin Kildun in the Advising and Counseling Center. He will determine your eligibility for Running Start.
STEP 3: COMPLETE RUNNING START PAPERWORK
Forms are available at www.cptc.edu/running-start. You must meet with your high school counselor for their signature.
STEP 4: MEET WITH CPTC RUNNING START ADVISOR
We will complete your admission form for your program and discuss registration for the next quarter.
Running Start Eligibility
To qualify for Running Start, you have to...
- Be between ages 16 and 21
- Be a junior or senior in high school
- Meet minimum ACCUPLACER test scores or Smarter Balance scores for placement into college level English
- Be identified as eligible by your school
For more information, contact Kevin Kildun, 253-589-5701, email@example.com.
Programs Running Start Students Are Eligible For
- Architectural Engineering Design
- Associate of Pre-Nursing
- Automotive Technician
- Automotive Collision Technician
- Aviation Maintenance Technician
- Central Service/Sterile Processing (must be at least 17 ½ to begin)
- Construction Technology
- Computer Programming
- Culinary Arts
- Digital Entertainment and Design
- Early Care & Education (evening availability)
- Electrician Low Voltage Fire/Security
- Environmental Science
- Esthetic Sciences
- Graphic Technologies
- Health Unit Coordinator (must be at least 17 ½ to begin)
- Heating & Air Conditioning Refrigeration/Service Technician
- Interior Design
- Manufacturing Technologies
- Massage Studies (must be at least 17 ½ to begin, evening availability)
- Mechatronics (must be at least 17 ½ to begin)
- Network Operations & Systems Security
- Non-Destructive Testing
- Nursing Assistant Certificate
- Pastry Arts
- Professional Pilot (must be at least 16 ½ to begin)
- Retail Business Management (online only)
- Welding (evening availability)