Visit cptc.edu/virtual for veteran services online.
Veterans Educational Benefits
Most programs offered by Clover Park Technical College (CPTC) are fully approved for benefits under the following Veterans Administration regulations:
- Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill®)
- Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)
- Chapter 32 (VEAP)
- Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®)
- Chapter 35 (Survivors & Dependents)
- Chapter 106 (Reserves)
Selected programs of study at Clover Park Technical College are approved by the Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board’s State Approving Agency (WTECB/SAA) for enrollment of those eligible to receive benefits under Title 38 and Title 10, USC.
Clover Park Technical College does not and will not provide any commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on success in securing enrollment or financial aid to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting or admissions activities or in making decisions regarding the award of student financial assistance.
Schools should limit student enrollment to 85% veteran enrollment per cohort. In the event that a veteran wishes to enroll in a class that has already reached the 85% cap, he or she may do that but will not be eligible for VA funding. Chapter 35 and 31 students may still enroll even if the 85 percent has been realized.
For questions about eligibility, call the VA at 1-888-442-4551. For veterans services you can visit gibill.va.gov. Currently enrolled VA students may report their monthly attendance by calling 1-877-823-2378. You can contact the CPTC Veteran's Certifying Official at (253) 589-5581/4532 or email email@example.com.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
VA New Student Checklist
For complete new student process, download the VA New Student Checklist (PDF).
VA Attendance Verification
For instructions and information on VA attendance verification, download the VA Attendance Verification Form.
Drop box is for students to drop off paperwork for financial aid, registration, admissions and veterans offices. Please do not drop any homework in the slot for your classes.
For your convenience, a drop box is available just outside of Building 17.
Located near the overhang, to the right of the main building entrance, this drop box is secure and accessible 24 hours a day. Contents are picked up daily from a secure location inside the building.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Copy of your DD-214
- Marriage License
- Divorce Papers
- Birth Certificates
Because your DD-214 is the most important separation document you receive, we advise that as a safeguard you take a copy to the following agency to have it certified:Pierce County Annex, Room 200, 2401 South 35th Street, Tacoma, WA 98409.
- 22 - 1990 Application for Educational Benefits
- 21 - 686 Declaration of Dependents
- 22 - 1995 Change of Programs
- 22 - 5490 Application for Survivors, Dependents (Chapter 35 only)
- 22 - 5495 Change of Programs (Chapter 35 only)
- 572 Change of Address
- Applying for Chapter 33 - Post 9/11
- Applying for Chapter 35 - DEA Benefits
- Applying for Transfer of Benefits
- Chapter 33 - Cosmetology Tool Kit
- Chapter 33 - Esthetic Tool Kit
- Chapter 33 Tool Kit Authorization Form
- Veteran Tutoring Form
The check will be available at the college on or about the first day of attendance.
If you are unable to sign up for advance pay, the VA sends your first check to your home address, and it usually arrives 2-15 weeks after you start college.
- Phone: 877-823-2378
- Website: www.gibill.va.gov. Click Information for Veterans, then Verify your attendance.
- Mail: If you are required to submit your attendance by mail, the VA will mail you the required form each month
If you have coursework from other accredited colleges or universities, please have an official transcript sent to: Attn: Credentials Evaluator, Clover Park Technical College, 4500 Steilacoom Blvd SW, Lakewood, WA 98499.
If you have undocumented experience for which you would like credit, please contact your program instructor for a Prior Learning Assessment. This assessment process has a minimal charge payable at the Cashier's Office prior to the evaluation.
In all cases, you will be notified of the outcome in writing.
Veteran Work Study Employment
To be eligible for work study as a veteran, you must:
- Be a veteran who is currently utilizing your benefits.
- Be enrolled 9-11 credits (part-time) or at least 12 credits (full-time).
- Be enrolled in a program approved by Veteran's Affairs.
Once approved for work study, you must take a job that involves direct service to other veterans. Clover Park Technical College offers a few jobs that meet this requirement. You may contact CPTC's veteran's certifying official at 253-589-5581/4532 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Priority Registration for Veterans
Clover Park Technical College is pleased to allow priority registration as defined by RCW 28B.15.621 section 7b to eligible veterans and National Guard members who are continuing, returning or new admitted students. RCW 28B.15.621 section 7b (HB 1109) defines an eligible veteran as follows:
"Eligible veteran or national guard member" means a Washington domiciliary who was an active or reserve member of the United States military or naval forces, or a national guard member called to active duty, who served in active federal service, under either Title 10 or Title 32 of the United States Code, in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil or in international waters or in another location in support of those serving on foreign soil or in international waters, and if discharged from service, has received an honorable discharge.”
Priority registration per this law is offered to:
- New students who are eligible veterans or national guard members and who have completed all of their admission processes,
- Continuing and returning former students who are eligible veterans or national guard members and who have met current enrollment requirements, and Spouses of eligible veterans or National Guard members receiving veteran education benefits.
Procedure for Assigning Priority Registration to NEW Veterans, National Guard members, or Spouses:
New veterans, National Guard members, or spouses must submit the following to the Enrollment Services office for eligibility review four weeks prior to the quarter’s priority registration date.
- Veteran or National Guard member must submit a copy of their DD214 form.
- Spouse must submit a copy of the veteran or National Guard member’s DD214 and marriage certificate or prove of relation to the member.