Meet Madison for a student's perspective on Running Start
Meet Joelyne for a parent's perspective on Running Start
Running Start is a statewide dual credit program where high school juniors and seniors can take college courses for both high school and college credit. If you are interested in exploring, or even enrolling in, college level programs Running Start at Clover Park Technical College may be right for you. We offer both hands-on career training programs as well as general education courses.
As a Running Start student, you will have the same opportunities as any college student. You will attend classes on-campus (or virtually depending on the class), have access to our student success programs and counselors, and activities supported by our student life programs.
Many of our career training programs give students the option to be awarded an associate degree, as well as their high school diploma. Ask your Running Start coordinator about this option. If successful, you could complete a degree, earn a high school diploma, and be career ready by the time you would finish high school... all with minimal cost.
Running Start Eligibility
To qualify for Running Start, you have to:
- Be between ages 16 and 21
- Be a junior or senior in high school
Running Start students are held to the same expectations as all other college students. Attendance, participation, behavior and quality of work must meet college standards.
Running Start tuition is typically free for high school students, but there is a cap to the amount of free tuition. Running Start students pay normal CPTC fees for books, tools, laboratory fees, consumables and transportation. If you qualify for free or reduced-price lunch (or meet other income requirements) many of theses costs could be waived.
Summer quarter funding is available for students in select programs. Contact Kevin Kildun for more information.
The first step in enrolling for Running Start is meeting with the Running Start advisor to begin the paperwork.
STEP 1: Contact our Running Start Advisor
Be prepared to provide high school transcripts, any standardized test scores, or work on self-placement activities to determine Math or English eligibility.
Kevin Kildun | Kevin.firstname.lastname@example.org | 253-589-5701
Log into Navigate to book with me. Be sure to note the following:
- ctcLink ID number
- Type of appointment (phone, online, in-person)
- Telephone number
- Reason for appointment
In-person hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30 am - 4:00 pm.
STEP 2: Complete Running Start paperwork
Plan to meet with your high school counselor for their signature.
STEP 3: Complete CPTC admissions application
STEP 4: Meet with CPTC Running Start Advisor
Kevin Kildun will assist you with completing class registration for the upcoming quarter.
Running Start Eligible Programs
- Architectural Engineering Design
- Associate of Pre-Nursing
- Automotive Technician
- Automotive Collision Technician
- Aviation Maintenance Technician
- Central Service/Sterile Processing (must be at least 17 ½ to begin)
- Construction Technology
- Computer Programming
- Culinary Arts
- Digital Entertainment and Design
- Early Care & Education (evening availability)
- Electrician Low Voltage Fire/Security
- Environmental Science
- Esthetic Sciences
- Graphic Technologies
- Health Unit Coordinator (must be at least 17 ½ to begin)
- Heating & Air Conditioning Refrigeration/Service Technician
- Interior Design
- Manufacturing Technologies
- Network Operations & Systems Security
- Non-Destructive Testing
- Nursing Assistant Certificate
- Pastry Arts
- Professional Pilot (must be at least 16 ½ to begin)
- Retail Business Management (online only)
- Welding (evening availability)