At CPTC, there are a variety of ways that students can get involved on campus.
Supported by the Services and Activities Fees collected from every student’s tuition, the Department of Student Life and Associated Student Government (ASG) provide programming, campus organizations, and leadership opportunities to all students.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Department of Student Life as a student employee!
We are not currently accepting applications for Student Ambassador positions at this time. Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.
Student Employment Opportunities
The department in partnership with the Associated Student Government (ASG) is looking to hire service-minded students who are interested in working to build community and connections amongst students, advocate for the needs of students at the local campus and statewide level, and improve the CPTC experience for both current and future students.
Applicants should have experience or interest to learn more about student engagement, marketing, customer service, and community building efforts across diverse interests and programs.
Student employee work shifts will be primarily in-person at the Lakewood Campus. Work shifts are flexible and will always be scheduled around a student's class schedule.
Our Hiring Process Explained
Each quarter the Department of Student Life conducts a hiring process to fill a variety of student employment positions. Students interested in submitting an application are encouraged to attend an information session to learn about the different student leadership positions, centers, and department initiatives before submitting an application, but can attend a session after submitting an application if needed.
Applicants that are selected by the hiring committee to move forward will be invited to attend an orientation to learn more about the onboarding process of the department and what to expect moving forward. We have found that over the years, that it is difficult to determine “best fit” for a position/team with just an application and 15-minute interview.
By deciding position placement towards the end of the onboarding/training process (which is paid), the department has a higher success rate of placing students into leadership development positions where they can be the most successful.
- Complete the online application by the deadline.
- Attend one Student Life Hiring Information Session to learn more about open positions and the hiring process.
- Select students will be invited to attend an interview
- Finalists will be invited to attend a mandatory New Hire Orientation session.
- Students who attend all mandatory meetings and are selected to join the team after the interview process will then complete hiring paperwork.
- Students will be notified with a final decision upon successfully passing a background check.
- Applicants must be currently registered for classes at CPTC
- Applicants must maintain a quarterly and cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Applicants must be a student in good standing with the College, ASG, and the community
- Applicants must be making academic progress in an academic degree or certificate program
If you do not meet one or more of the above requirements, please email a statement after you submit your completed application explaining to the committee why you should be considered and explain any circumstances that may have prevented you from meeting one or more requirement. Submit your appeal via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submitting a statement with your application does not guarantee an interview.
To submit your application, you will need to complete all sections of the online application including:
- Applicant Information
- Personal Statements:
- Tell us about yourself
- What skills and abilities would you bring to the Student Life Team?
- Tell us how you will be able to successfully balance your student leader position responsibilities (8-19 hours/week) along with your obligations at school and home.
- Why are you interested in being a student leader?
- Resume (not required, but strongly encouraged)
- Professional Reference
- Please list an individual who can speak to your experience, character that in not a friend or family member. You will need to list their full name and contact information
Note: You will need to complete the application in one sitting. You cannot save the application to finish at another time.
Prospective Student Ambassadors who have already submitted an application will have one final chance to attend an information session this quarter.
- Tuesday, October 18 from 4:00-5:00pm (in-person)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The structure of student leadership positions changed in 2019 to allow for increased team collaboration and cross-training opportunities. All student leaders are part of the larger Student Life Team in addition to the five committees we have that help comprise the Student Government.
- Civic Engagement Committee
- Students who serve on the Civic Engagement Committee are advocates of the student voice and partner with other governing units on the campus, local and state levels.
- Diversity & Inclusion Committee
- Students who serve on the Diversity & Inclusion Committee are responsible for the planning & facilitating of events, programs, and initiatives that foster a campus climate that is inclusive and welcoming.
- Events & Activities Committee
- Students who serve on the Events & Activities Committee coordinate engagement opportunities aimed at supporting students' social, educational, and professional growth and development.
- Health & Wellness Committee
- Students who serve on the Health & Wellness Committee are responsible for planning & facilitating a variety or programs and initiatives that aim to improve student mental and physical health.
- Student Success Committee
- Students who serve on the Student Success Committee coordinate campus campaigns that support students' social, academic and financial success.
In addition to the committee structure, the Department of Student Life also has a Student Marketing & Graphics Team (SMT). The SMT is responsible for the graphic design and overall promotion of events, activities, programs and initiatives housed within the Department of Student Life, including but not limited to creating and maintaining a strong online presence via social media and other virtual platforms. Graphic design, social media, photography, and writing skills are highly desired.
*The interview process for positions on the Student Marking & Graphics Team is subject to a different interview process: an interview, an in-person assessment, and a take away assignment.
If you do not meet one or more of the requirements for participation, you may appeal to have your application considered by the Hiring Committee. To appeal, please email a statement after you submit your completed application packet explaining to the committee why you should be considered for a leadership position and explaining any circumstances that may have prevented you from meeting one or more requirement(s). Submit your appeal via email to email@example.com. Any questions you can contact 253-589-5780. Submitting an appeal does not guarantee that your application will be considered for an interview by the Hiring Committee.
Nope! Student Ambassadors are paid from S&A fees instead of work study money. You may have an additional position through work study and work for the Department of Student Life, but cumulative hours must not exceed 19 hours/week combined.
This really depends on your student schedule and availability! Student Life positions can range anywhere between 8-19 hours per week.
One of the best things of a job in the Department of Student Life is flexibility around your personal and class schedule. In general, our hours can range Monday - Friday, 8am - 6pm. We will schedule your shifts based on your availability.
We encourage South Hill Campus students to apply for any position with the Department of Student Life, however, transportation to training, office hours and meetings at the Lakewood campus will be required.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Call us at 253-589-5780