Skip to main content

Financially Independent

An independent student is one who is no longer financially dependent upon parents. Residency is determined by several factors:

  1. Physical presence - you may be eligible for resident classification if you can provide sufficient written evidence of physical presence in Washington with the intent to establish residency for purposes other than educational for 12 consecutive months prior to the start of the quarter for which you wish to enroll.
  2. Intent to establish domicile (residence) - intent is assessed through activities Washington residents normally perform to establish domicile. The required documents listed below are some of the activities and/or requirements a person is intended to do when establishing residence.
  3. Financial - Unmarried students under the age of 25 - you must provide evidence of sufficient income (earnings) to pay the majority (51%) of annual estimated cost of attendance at CPTC as published in the current catalog. Your federal tax return for the current and previous tax year will be required. If you were claimed as a dependent by a parent or legal guardian on the previous tax year, a copy of your parent/legal guardian's most recent tax return may be required to show prove that you are not claimed as a dependent for the current tax year. If you are a married student under the age of 25, you may be required to provide a copy of your spouse's federal income tax return.


  1. Complete the .
  2. Submit the following supporting documents along with the questionnaire form.
  • Washington State driver’s license or Washington State ID card (required)
  • Washington State vehicle registration
  • Washington State voter’s registration
  • Domicile documentation showing physical residence in Washington for the past 12 months; i.e. rental or lease agreement, home owner's documentation, home mortgage payment, notarized letter from landlord or Affidavit of Residence, water bill, or electric/gas bill - bill must show service for a 12-month period and may require submitting more than one statement to show 12-month service. (required)
  • Immigration documentation (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
  • Unmarried students under the age of 25, provide previous and current federal tax return
  • Married students under the age of 25, provide a copy of your previous and current federal tax returns. Spouse's tax return may be required.

CPTC Official Seal

Copyright © 2024 CPTC - All Rights Reserved | Federal School Code: 015984