To increase the safety and welfare of students and staff, Clover Park Technical College will provide timely and appropriate notification of the presence of a convicted sexual offender. This notification shall be in accordance with applicable state law and shall be in such a manner that maintains safety without creating excessive anxiety among students and staff.
Pursuant to RCW 4.24.550, Clover Park Technical College is authorized to notify the College community when knowledge is received that a registered sex offender may be expected on or near the College campus, including off-site buildings.
The extent of public disclosure of relevant and necessary information shall be directly related to:
- The level of risk posed by the offender to the community.
- The locations where the offender resides, expects to reside or is regularly found.
- The needs of the affected community members for information to enhance their individual and collective safety.
Formal procedures will be followed after the law enforcement agency has notified the institution and the Vice President for Student Services of the sexual offender enrolling or planning to enroll. All official notification to the College community shall come from the Office of the Vice President for Student Services. Requests for additional information will be referred to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
Upon learning of the enrollment/presence of a convicted sexual offender at Clover Park Technical College, the Vice President for Student Services will take the following steps:
- Obtain additional information, as necessary, from law enforcement.
- Meet with President’s Cabinet and review relevant information to assess safety issues posed for currently enrolled students and the Child Care Center.
- Meet with the convicted offender to make him or her aware of the notification procedure. Other than the notification procedure, convicted sex offenders will receive the same rights and privacy protections provided to all students.
Notification will correspond with the classification level in the following manner:
Level I (Low Risk)
- President’s Cabinet
- Administrators / Directors
- Faculty and staff in whose program / courses the offender is enrolled
- Security Office
Level II (Medium Risk)
- All Level I notifications
- “Public Notification: Sex Offender Release” posted on various bulletin boards around campus including the Security Office, Child Care Center, Advising/Counseling, Bookstore, Cafeteria, Library, Learning Center, Computer Labs, and other areas frequented by students.
Level III (High Risk)
- All Level I and II notifications
- Information provided to all college employees via campus mail and/or list serve.
- Vice President of Student Services will provide notification to the classes in which the offender is enrolled.
Public employees and/or public agencies are immune from civil liability for damages for any discretionary decisions or release of relevant and necessary information, unless it is shown that the employee or agency acted with gross negligence or in bad faith