Clover Park Technical College is committed to fostering a safe environment for our students, staff, faculty and visitors. Our goal is to prevent accidents and injuries and to minimize the negative effects of both emergencies and accidents that may occur for the college community.
Please read and learn the steps for each of the following. In any potentially life threatening situation, call 911 first and security second. Supervisors are responsible for ensuring employees are made aware of these procedures and receive any necessary training. College personnel shall report safety hazards and/or unsafe practices to their supervisor and the All Hazard Committee.
- If necessary, call 911.
- Notify Security.
- Administer aid if you are qualified.
- Complete an Accidental Injury/Occupational Illness form
- The form should be completed by the injured party or their supervisor within 24 hours and forwarded to the Risk Manager.
Acts of Violence
- Stay calm.
- Secure your own safety and the safety of others around you.
- Call 911 and campus Security.
- Cooperate with local law enforcement and security staff.
- If you are a witness, be prepared to make a statement.
- All persons in charge of others must be trained and certified in first aid.
- First aid kits shall be in designated work areas. Each department/division should designate an employee to maintain the inventory.
- Stay calm and listen carefully.
- Keep the individual on the line as long as possible.
- Document the following:
- Where is the bomb?
- When is it going off?
- What does it look like?
- Why was it placed?
- Where are you?
- What is your name?
- Where do you live?
- Notify security staff of the call.
- Use only regular telephones, not cellular phones, two-way radios or other devices during bomb threats.
- Dial 911 and describe you location (building and room number), telephone number, the location of the fire and the type of fire if you are able to identify it (small/large, electrical).
- Call security staff.
- Pull a manual fire alarm. See your building’s evacuation map for the location of the nearest alarm box.
- If trapped inside, stay near the floor. Shout at intervals to alert rescue personnel of your location.
- Stay calm and remain where you are (indoors take shelter under a secure object, outdoors move away from electrical wires, poles, or items that may fall).
- Remain until it is safe to evacuate.
- Environmental Safety
- Do not attempt to clean hazardous spills. Call Facilities immediately.
- If you notice a strange odor or chemical smell, evacuate the area.
- Call security staff.
- Gather personal belongings and walk quickly to the nearest exit and then to the predetermined area (see evacuation map).
- If possible, close doors and windows as the last individual leaves the room.
- Do not use elevators.
- If unable to assist someone, position them in the safest place possible and notify emergency personnel.
- Do not re-enter the building until you receive permission from the Vice President for Finance and Administration or his/her designee.