- Home /
- About Clover Park Technical College
The Rotunda at Clover Park Technical College
As a vital member of Washington's higher-education system, Clover Park Technical College offers forty programs in aerospace, advanced manufacturing, health sciences, human services, business, hospitality, science, technology, engineering, transportation and trades.
Clover Park Technical College has two campuses: our main campus in Lakewood and our South Hill Campus just south of Puyallup (adjacent to Thun Field), where our aviation programs are located.
Clover Park Technical College offers courses online and on campus for students getting ready for their first career, their next step within their career or new careers. CPTC is here to help students redefine education to meet their needs. The College's rich history of professional and technical education dates to the 1940s, when the Clover Park School District established a War Production program training civilians as auto mechanics, aircraft-service mechanics, ship-fitters, welders and blueprint readers.
Our Aviation Maintenance Technician students average among the highest pass rates in the nation for FAA certification.
We were the first two-year college in the nation to meet the National Security Administration's training standards in computer security.
We're a Community College of Excellence for the Brownfields Job Training program
This is the brief version — the full version is available on our history page.
In 1941 a program called War Production Training began in shop buildings at Clover Park High School. This training taught area citizens the skills needed to repair and maintain military equipment during World War II. In this program 500 students were trained in auto mechanics and aircraft service mechanics. Out of this training Clover Park Vocational-Technical Institute was founded in 1942. In 1954 Clover Park Vocational-Technical Institute began moving from its home in the Navy Supply Depot to vacant warehouses. In 1957 CPVTI received a small grant to purchase books and other materials to create its first resource center. In the late 1960s the schools started 16 new programs in one year, a record number. By 1970 the school employed 90 full-time instructors. Clover Park Vocational-Technical Institute left the Clover Park School District in the 1990s and became Clover Park Technical College.