Veterans Educational Benefits
Most programs offered by CPTC are fully approved for benefits under the following Veterans Administration regulations:
- Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill®)
- Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)
- Chapter 32 (VEAP)
- Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®)
- Chapter 35 (Survivors & Dependents)
- Chapter 106 (Reserves)
Selected programs of study at Clover Park Technical College are approved by the Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board’s State Approving Agency (WTECB/SAA) for enrollment of those eligible to receive benefits under Title 38 and Title 10, USC.
Clover Park Technical College does not and will not provide any commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on success in securing enrollment or financial aid to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting or admissions activities or in making decisions regarding the award of student financial assistance.
Schools should limit student enrollment to 85% veteran enrollment per cohort. In the event that a veteran wishes to enroll in a class that has already reached the 85% cap, he or she may do that but will not be eligible for VA funding. Chapter 35 and 31 students may still enroll even if the 85 percent has been realized.
For questions about eligibility, call the VA at 1-888-442-4551. For veterans services you can visit gibill.va.gov. Currently enrolled VA students may report their monthly attendance by calling 1-877-823-2378. You can contact the CPTC Veteran's Certifying Official at (253) 589-5581/4532 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
VA New Student Checklist
VA Attendance Verification
Frequently Asked Questions
Depending on your situation, applicable documents are listed below:
- Copy of your DD-214
- Marriage License
- Divorce Papers
- Birth Certificates
Because your DD-214 is the most important separation document you receive, we advise that as a safeguard you take a copy to the following agency to have it certified:Pierce County Annex, Room 200, 2401 South 35th Street, Tacoma, WA 98409.
The following forms listed below are available at: www.gibill.va.gov
- 22 - 1990 Application for Educational Benefits
- 21 - 686 Declaration of Dependents
- 22 - 1995 Change of Programs
- 22 - 5490 Application for Survivors, Dependents (Chapter 35 only)
- 22 - 5495 Change of Programs (Chapter 35 only)
- 572 Change of Address
If your paperwork is complete at least 30 days prior to your start date, you are eligible to sign up for advance pay. That check will have your eligible pay for up to the first two calendar months of college attendance, depending on when you enroll.
The check will be available at the college on or about the first day of attendance.
If you are unable to sign up for advance pay, the VA sends your first check to your home address, and it usually arrives 2-15 weeks after you start college.
Some students are required to verify their attendance the last day of each month. The method may vary depending on which chapter your VA benefits fall under. Verification will done by phone, mail, or online.
Website: www.gibill.va.gov. Click Information for Veterans, then Verify your attendance.
Mail: If you are required to submit your attendance by mail, the VA will mail you the required form each month.
Upon receipt of your DD-295, our CPTC credentials evaluator and CPTC program faculty will determine transfer of appropriate military coursework.
If you have course work from other accredited colleges or universities, please have an official transcript sent to: Attn: Credentials Evaluator, Clover Park Technical College, 4500 Steilacoom Blvd SW, Lakewood, WA 98499.
If you have undocumented experience for which you would like credit, please contact your program instructor for a Prior Learning Assessment. This assessment process has a minimal charge payable at the Cashier's Office prior to the evaluation.
In all cases, you will be notified of the outcome in writing.
Veteran Work Study Employment
To be eligible for work study as a veteran, you must:
- Be a veteran who is currently utilizing your benefits.
- Be enrolled 9-11 credits (part-time) or at least 12 credits (full-time).
- Be enrolled in a program approved by Veteran's Affairs.
Once approved for work study, you must take a job that involves direct service to other veterans. Clover Park Technical College offers a few jobs that meet this requirement. You may contact CPTC's veteran's certifying official at 253-589-5581/4532 or email at email@example.com.
Priority Registration for Veterans
Clover Park Technical College is pleased to allow priority registration as defined by RCW 28B.15.621 section 7b to eligible veterans and National Guard members who are continuing, returning or new admitted students.
RCW 28B.15.621 section 7b (HB 1109) defines an eligible veteran as follows:
"Eligible veteran or national guard member" means a Washington domiciliary who was an active or reserve member of the United States military or naval forces, or a national guard member called to active duty, who served in active federal service, under either Title 10 or Title 32 of the United States Code, in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil or in international waters or in another location in support of those serving on foreign soil or in international waters, and if discharged from service, has received an honorable discharge.”
Priority registration per this law is defined as:
“Veterans continuing in their program of study will have priority registration over non-veteran continuing students. Registration for this group will be during the special population priority registration, usually the first two days of registration.”
- Veterans who are taking first quarter program classes will have priority over non-veteran students and will register for their first quarter classes during the “continuing student registration” segment of the registration cycle. Please be advised that priority registration as defined in HB 1109 does not affect placement on target start date.
- Eligible veterans who are NOT already using VA benefits at CPTC,must furnish proof of eligibility the quarter before they intend to enroll.
- Bring an original DD214 to the office of the Director of Enrollment Services prior to the 10th day of the current quarter to be eligible for the following quarter.
- Please note that a copy of the DD214 will NOT be accepted to determine priority registration eligibility.
- Eligible veterans who are currently using VA benefits at CPTC will be notified by email about specific dates for priority registration.
- Veteran students who are close to completing their program requirements have the responsibility to inform the VA Certifying Official about their planned graduation date so that necessary coding can be applied.