What is the CCSSE?
- The Community College Survey of Student Engagement (CCSSE) is an assessment tool that provides information on student engagement, a key indicator of learning and, therefore, of the quality of community colleges. The survey is comprised of items that assess institutional practices and student behaviors that are highly correlated with student learning and student retention. It is a versatile, research-based tool appropriate for multiple uses. Identifying what students do in and out of the classroom, knowing students' goals, and understanding external responsibilities can help the college create an environment that can enhance learning, development, and success.
- CCSSE benchmarks measure: 1) Active and Collaborative Learning, 2) Student Effort, 3) Academic Challenge, 4) Student-Faculty Interaction, 5) Support for Learners.
- Example of CCSSE survey can be viewed here.
When do we administer the CCSSE?
- The CCSSE is administered once every two years. It was last administered to students enrolled in a random sample of CPTC credit courses in Spring 2018 (April 17 – May 3).
How do we administer the CCSSE?
- The CCSSE is administered as a pencil-and-paper survey and is designed to be completed in one 50 minute class period. Someone other than an instructor administers the survey but we ask instructors to be available for questions at the time of the survey.
- CCSSE selects a random sample of courses from our class schedule based on their start time. Students under 18 years of age are not sampled nor are dual-enrollment courses offered to high school students.
- Other courses excluded from the sample include: noncredit classes, lower level ESL, online classes, practicums, internships, clinical courses, labs associated with lecture when both enroll the same students, hybrid classes without a regular meeting time and location during the survey period, classes that begin after the survey administration dates, courses with less than 3 students, and separate listings of cross- listed courses.
- A list of FAQs can be found here.