Skip to main content

Travel Regulations

3.3 Travel Regulations
Year Adopted
2010, 2018


All travel on official college business is subject to Washington State laws and regulations. Clover Park Technical College will, at a minimum, follow the State Administrative and Accounting Manual (SAAM) policies, procedures, and rules related to Travel,


A. The college President has delegated approval authority for travel authorizations for all but out of state travel to the Vice Presidents and Chief Officers. Each of these may further delegate approval authority to Directors and Supervisors. (10.10.10.a.3)

B. The college will use alternatives to incurring travel expenses whenever feasible and practical. When other means of meeting are possible and appropriate, e.g., teleconferencing or video conferencing, those alternatives will be explored. (10.10.25)

C. Business telephone calls are those that are related to the conduct of official business of the College. Personal telephone calls are considered an appropriate business call and eligible for reimbursement only when they are to inform the traveler’s family of a change in travel plans, such as a delay in the return time. (

D. When travel expenses are to be reimbursed by a person or a non-state entity, reimbursements will continue to be calculated per the state regulations. College employees will follow the guidance of the State Ethics Board for accepting travel costs/reimbursement from non state entities. For example, those involved in the selection of a particular vendor to provide services to the college will not accept travel costs /reimbursement from that vendor. (10.20.60)

E. Reimbursement for lodging expenses is allowed when an employee’s temporary duty station is located more than fifty miles from the closer of the traveler’s official residence or official station. Lodging reimbursement is also allowed when that distance is less than fifty miles under any of three circumstances:

  1. when reimbursement for an overnight stay in a commercial lodging facility avoids the traveler having to drive back and forth for official state business which ends no earlier than 6:00 p.m. on one day and then begins again no later than 8:00 a.m. the next day, according to the agenda(s) for that business (with written supervisor approval);
  2. when the health and safety of the traveler is of concern (with appropriate notification to the supervisor);
  3. when it is demonstrated that staying overnight is more economical to the College (with written supervisor approval). (10.30.30.b)

F. Agency-determined meal periods – The agency breakfast period starts 1 ½ hours prior to the employee’s regularly scheduled work day. To qualify for breakfast, an employee must be in travel status for at least 1 ½ hours before official starting time and meet the three-hour rule as defined in SAAM 10.40.50.b. The agency lunch period is the employee’s regularly scheduled lunch meal period. To be reimbursed for lunch, an employee must be in travel status during their entire regularly scheduled lunch time and meet the three-hour rule as defined in SAAM 10.40.50.b. The agency dinner meal period is the 1 ½ hour period directly following the end of the employee’s regularly scheduled work day. To qualify for dinner reimbursement an employee must be in travel status at least 1 ½ hours after the regularly scheduled quitting time and meet the three-hour rule as defined in SAAM 10.40.50.b. When an employee works through the agency dinner meal period at their duty station and goes directly into travel status, the agency meal period is the 1 ½ hour period directly following their completion of work at their duty station. (10.40.50.a)

G. When using a state contract for the rental of motor vehicles there is no authorization for use beyond official state business. The occasional incidental personal use (for example for travel to a restaurant, store, or entertainment facility) while in travel status is permissible, but additional mileage charges (if any) must be reimbursed to the state by the traveler. (10.50.35.e)

H. The maximum reimbursement for personal care attendant services while in travel status will be limited to the allowances of authorized official travel of a state employee. (10.60.30)

I. Charges for baggage on international flights shall be reimbursable as miscellaneous travel expenses when a baggage allowance is not included in the state travel ticket price. Only the costs for up to two checked bags will be reimbursed. (10.60.40)

J. Clover Park Technical College Board of Trustees members are to be reimbursed under Option 1, 10.70.30.b, for their official services to the college. (10.70.30.b)

K. Occasionally it may be more economical and advantageous for the College to pay a vendor directly for travel costs of its authorized official business travelers. In such a case, an itemized listing of the state per diem reimbursement amounts is to be prepared to compare with the costs the vendor is offering. Only if the costs as supplied by the vendor are less than or equal to the state reimbursement amounts is this method permissible. (10.80.55)

L. Travel Advances are permissible when the travel advance itself is to be equal to or more than one day of the Meal Rate Per Diem at the Non High-Cost Location rate as published in 10.90.20 of the SAAM. (10.80.60.b.7)

M. REQUEST FOR FIELD TRIP forms should be completed and submitted to the program director no later than one week prior to the event. A list of students’ names should be attached to the REQUEST FOR FIELD TRIP form, including parent authorization for any students less than 18 years of age or still in high school. Students under the age of 18 must ride with the instructor or drive by themselves when college transportation is not being used. Forms are available from program assistants.

N. Employees traveling on official business for Clover Park Technical College must obtain authorization from the appropriate administrator(s) prior to departure. No reimbursement for mileage or per diem shall be assured if prior approval for travel has not been obtained.

O. All travel reimbursements must be submitted on a Travel Expense Voucher to be approved subject to budgetary constraints. Vouchers shall be submitted within 30 days of the end of the calendar month for which reimbursement is requested or else the College cannot guarantee payment. The exception to this rule is the final state fiscal year month of June travel voucher. This voucher is to be submitted during the month of July per the timelines established and published in the month of June by the Finance & Budget Office. Vouchers for travel reimbursement may be submitted more frequently when the reimbursement equals or exceeds $100.00.