The 2017-18 Academic Year marks Clover Park Technical College's 75th Anniversary in workforce education. CPTC began in 1942 with a War Production Training program in shop buildings available at Clover Park High School. This was in response to World War II, as school districts located near large military bases were asked to provide technical training so citizens of the area would be qualified to repair and maintain ordnance and military equipment needed for the war effort.
Beginning with that first year, 500 students were trained as auto mechanics and service mechanics, while 2,500 students were trained for the Tacoma Shipyards in shipfitting, blueprint reading and welding. Clover Park Vocational-Technical Institute continued to grow as part of Clover Park School District until the 1990s, when the school separated from the district and became Clover Park Technical College. In 2000, CPTC expanded to a second campus in South Hill, where the college's aviation and aeronautical programs are housed and make use of the runway at Thun Field. Read more about CPTC's history here.
We are proud of our tradition of workforce education, as well as the legacy we continue to build in Lakewood and South Hill. As we celebrate our first 75 years, we look forward to another 75 years (and more) of education tomorrow's workforce.