Long-Term Work Goals:
- Volunteer and give food preparation demonstrations at farmer’s markets.
- Post recipes and growing instructions on the website.
- Inform and educate faculty at the fall in-service about the sustainability task force work plan.
- Add the topic of recycle bins to College 101
- Talk to culinary instructor regarding a cooking demo for event.
- Meet again in August to determine what “green day” would look like on our campus.
- “Green day” event during fall quarter.
- Need another sustainability intern.
Programs and what they are doing on campus to be sustainable
- Accounting; using angel to eliminate paper usage, recycling paper, aluminum, and plastic.
- Automotive; recycling metal, oil, cardboard, paper (not too much used), aluminum, and plastic.
- Aviation; recycling paper, and using back side for scratch paper, aluminum, plastic, batteries, and oil.
- Construction; build solar panels to heat water, collect water in rain barrels, growing a garden and watering with a drip system, use 90% recycled material and when a project is completed they are able to reuse 80% on the material.
- Cosmetology; recycles paper, cardboard, plastic, aluminum, and separate out there hazardous waste to be disposed of properly. They also wash their materials in a washer and dryer and reuse them.
- Culinary Arts; gathers and separates food scraps to be composted, and buys local grown vegetables when possible.
- Early Childhood Education; there are recycle bins for paper in the office.
- Environmental Science; has recycle bin in class rooms for paper, aluminum and plastic.
- Heating and Air Conditioning; recycle paper, plastic and aluminum.
- Hemodialysis Technician; recycle paper in classroom.
- Landscape Management; will use the compost created by worms to grow native plants. Recycle paper, plastic, and aluminum.
- Massage Studies; recycles cardboard, paper and uses 100% organic material in the program.
- Nursing, Practical Nursing, RN, Pharmacy Tech; recycle paper.
- Child Care Center; There are recycling paper in the office.
- Sustainable Building; 90% of materials are recycled and after a project is completed 80% get reused. Solar heating hot water, garden with a drip system, rain barrels and composting.
« Back to Sustainability