By offering service-learning courses, faculty benefit through:
- Inspiring and invigorating teaching methods
- Increasing student contact through greater emphasis on student-centered teaching
- Connecting community needs with curriculum and becoming more aware of current societal issues as they relate to academic areas of interest
- Identifying areas for collaborative community research and publication
- Advancing scholarship and service contributions for tenure and promotion considerations
- Experience the circumstances of their students’ lives outside the classroom
- Connect theoretical concepts to practical applications.
- Move beyond professional engagement to civic engagement.
- Create a more engaged classroom learning environment through thoughtful discussion and critical thinking.
- Increase their professional development through innovative teaching, research and service (contributes to review, promotion and tenure process).
- Earn Service Learning Credentials on C.V.
- Create forums for interdisciplinary collaboration
Resources for Faculty