NUTRITION FOR NURSING
Focuses on basic nutritional concepts. The student is introduced to the role of nutrition in promoting, achieving, and maintaining healthy lifestyles. The course emphasizes the use of the nursing process to provide teaching for clients with consideration of developmental stages, cultures, lifestyles, and socioeconomic status.
Admission to Practical Nursing program. (Optional – Can be taken prior to entering nursing program with instructor approval based on seat availability).
- Discuss the relationship of food and health.
- List the functions and the major food sources of the essential nutrients.
- Utilizing the nursing process, apply nutritional concepts to develop a therapeutic diet for an individual client.
- Identify the major signs and symptoms of deficiency disease caused by a lack of essential nutrients.
- Identify and describe food patterns based on various cultures.