MEDICAL OFFICE PROCEDURES
Emphasis on customer service, within the health care field, while projecting and promoting a positive image of the profession and the office. This course also includes telephone techniques, chart management, business correspondence for the medical office, including preparation of cover letter and resume. Define law and ethics relating to the healthcare field focusing on components specific to medical assistants.
Successful completion of all Quarter 1 courses.
- Stipulate legal and ethical principles concerning the healthcare practice, including healthcare personnel, and components of the medical record.
- Describe the principles of interpersonal relationships and enhance communications with all patients.
- Outline the basic guidelines for telephone use and the function of other basic office equipment.
- Detail community, state, and national resources available to patient and physicians.
- Identify components of creating, purging and retaining medical records.
- Detail inventory control.
- Distinguish the fundamental rules of English usage and process of written communications including resume writing.
- Detail preparation of correspondence; identify the various mailing options and the procedures for sorting and prioritizing incoming mail.
- Identify and describe the process of making travel and meeting arrangements.
- Discuss components of the Healthcare Assistant Act, Violence in the Workplace and law & ethics specific to medical assisting.