ELECTROCARDIOGRAM MONITOR TECHNICIAN
This course will examine basic cardiac function, normal and abnormal cardiac rhythms, etiology of arrhythmias and interpretation of EKG tracing. Class time will consist of lectures, identifying rhythms, and group challenges. Cardiac rhythms can be relatively straight or amazingly confounding. Not to worry! The purpose of this course is to provide you with an excellent baseline understanding of both the simple and more complex rhythms.
- Discuss and describe electrophysiology of the normal heart.
- Describe electrical activation of the normal heart related to EKG tracing.
- Implement a systematic approach to reading rhythm strips.
- Identify equipment required for cardiac monitoring.
- Will understand the concept of paper time in order to calculate heart rate.
- Identify the following rhythms:
- Sinus and Atrial Dysrhythmias
- Junctional Rhythms
- Ventricular Rhythms
- Heart Blocks
- Pacer Rhythms
- Will be able to describe or identify Precordial Shock or Cardioversion.
- Will be able to describe or identify EKG manifestations associated with Electrolyte changes, and Ischemia.