HISTOTECHNOLOGY LAB I
Explores work in a simulated histology laboratory located on the campus. During this course, students will have hands-on training in basic grossing techniques, as well as in-depth training in processing, embedding, and cutting of tissue sections. Students will also learn to identify basic tissue structures using a light microscope.
- Hands on experience with chemicals related to fixation, tissue processing, embedding and cutting of routine histology specimens.
- Hands on experience related to primary fixatives used in the histology laboratory, their uses, benefits, drawbacks and chemical composition.
- Hands on experience related to the factors influencing fixation.
- Hands on experience related to the proper gross description of specific tissue types
- Hands on experience related to the process of decalcification of bone, reagents used, advantages and disadvantages of the various techniques..
- Hands on experience related to the process and theory of tissue processing.
- Hands on experience in proper coverslipping techniques.
- Hands on experience in tissue identification.
- The student will think individually while communicating effectively within a team.