ORIENTATION TO THE HISTOLOGY LABORATORY
Introduces laboratory and chemical safety as well as universal precautions. Covers basic overview of standard histology instrumentation, quality control procedures, specimen accessioning, record keeping, and documentation. Explores laboratory and personnel certification requirements. Prerequisites: Successful completion of BIOL& 175 (BIOL 118 will be accepted through 2015), CHEM& 110, and ENGL& 101.
- State in his/her own words, the college and program policies regarding absences, dress code, grooming, parking, smoking and grading.
- Define and explain the following terms: Universal precautions, Right to Know, HIPAA and laboratory standards.
- Define and explain the use of MSDS sheets.
- Define and explain what safety precautions should be taken with all histology laboratory instruments.
- Define and explain NFPA labeling system, and standard laboratory safety practices.
- Define and explain the storage requirements for chemicals
- Be familiar with functions and maintenance of laboratory equipment and maintenance procedure writing.
- Define and explain the certification requirements for HT (ASCP)