INTRODUCTION TO BAKING
Introduces culinary students to the fundamentals of baking and to scientific principles. Students will learn different mixing and production methods in producing quick breads, pastries, cakes, pies, soufflés, mousses, and custards.
- Explain the basic principles and fundamentals of baking.
- Understand the basic principles of custards, puddings, cooked sugars, frozen desserts, soufflés, mousses and dessert sauces.
- Produce a variety of pies,tarts, including fruit, cream, chiffon and specialty items.
- Produce various types of cookies.
- Prepare the three basic meringue types.
- Demonstrate the ability to produce various restaurant desserts to a standard that is measured on taste, texture, flavor and appeal.