FOOD PREPARATION I
Practice and apply the skills of a restaurant cook. Students will learn the importance of organizing and planning their work stations as well as preparing items needed prior to actual cooking. Topics include fruit and vegetable varieties, uses, and preparation.
- Identify Classic Mother Sauces and two derivatives, finished dishes to industry standard.Identify basic vegetable cuts by name, size and shape.
- Demonstrate the ability to blanch and par cook a variety of vegetables.
- Demonstrate the ability to correctly prepare salad dressings according to industry standards.
- Must include 3 creamy and 3 vinaigrettes style dressings.
- Demonstrate the ability to prepare cold and hot hors d’oeuvres, and canapés with base, spread, main ingredient and garnish.
- Recognize and prepare risotto, polenta, gnocchi.
- Prepare a variety of egg dishes, breakfast potatoes, pancakes and waffles.