PROFESSIONAL COOKING I
Provides the student with a general understanding of the professional kitchen. Topics include kitchen safety, dishwasher procedures, how to handle food in a safe environment, selection and caring of knives, understanding of how a professional kitchen is organized and the rationale, cleaning, and function of kitchen equipment. Students will learn to cut foods in a variety of shapes as well as recognize and use a variety of herbs and spices.
- Identify basic kitchen equipment and tools.
- Display proper knife skills, mise en place, hand tools and equipment operations.
- Identify herbs and spices and their uses according to reading and demonstrations.
- Identify cheeses and the different categories of cheese.
- Demonstrate and explain emulsion sauces and gastriques.
- Prepare five infused oils.
- Demonstrate the ability to prepare salads of good texture, color and flavor. These include two tossed, two composed and 2 bound salads.