INTRODUCTION TO HEALTH PROFESSIONS
Provides an overview of Law & Ethics a student should know to help provide competent, compassionate care to patients.
- Demonstrate proficiency in privacy of health information, standards for electronic transactions of health information and claims, security of electronic health information and national identifiers for the parties in health care transactions.
- Demonstrate proficiency by obtaining 7-hour certificate in the etiology, and epidemiology of HIV/AIDS, transmission and infection control, testing and counseling, clinical manifestations and treatment, legal and ethical issues surrounding HIV/AIDS and psycho-social issues of HIV/AIDS.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the various laws surrounding the healthcare health care industry in general, an understanding of the various laws that affect allied health professionals and examine the various ethical issues in health care today per HIPAA.
- Discuss and explore the history and trends in health care, basic health care concepts and skills, various careers and pathways in allied health and personal and professional qualities of an allied health professional.
- Successfully participate in an allied health field study which may include site-visits to profession-specific sites, interviews with allied health care professionals, research job opportunities of various allied health positions and provide wage information.
- Create a professional resume, cover letter and Thank you letter/card.
- Work effectively as a team member.
- Explore, discuss and address cultural diversity in health care.